Thursday, May 8, 2008

Who am I? Why am I taking Art 388 (Art in Europe)?

I am a Colombian eager to take off. I was born in MEDELLIN, COLOMBIA and in 2000 my family and I moved to the United States. I have not been able to travel outside of the country since then because I was waiting for my green card (permanent residency card) to come through. I finally got it in Fall 2007 and I could not be happier to be able to travel to Europe! (And of course COLOMBIA! in July).

I am an ART MAJOR, as well as International Studies and French, at High Point Uniersity . Taking the course Art in Europe is a great way to study Art first hand and pracitce my French :S. I am a visual learner, and even though it does help to look at the pictures in the book, it is even better when the Art is right infront of you.

I am looking forward to visiting ENGLAND, SWITZERLAND, FRANCE, and ITALY. I am especially excited about seeing the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, the Vatican, the various David statues, Liberty Leading the People by Delacroix, and the different masterpieces by Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Raphael, Monet, Degas, Van Gogh, Gauguin, Cezanne...if we have time to see them all.









The moment I saw BERNINI's DAVID I was drawn to its expansive and dynamic features. It seems as if the Artist caught David in a snap shot; in the middle of his throwing the sling shot. It is very realistic, even how David bites his lip and brings his eyebrows forward as he squints his eyes a little.

No comments: